Ghantai Temple

Description
The temple, locally called Ghantai on account of the chain-and-bell (ghanta) motifs so prominently carved on its tall elegant pillars is situated to the south of the Khajuraho village. It is the fragmentary shall of a structure, which was essentially of the same design as the Parsvanatha temple but was grander in conception and nearly twice as large in dimensions. All that has survived is an entrance-porch and a mahamandapa, each resting on four tall pillars, supporting a flat ornate ceiling. The coffered ceiling of the entrance-porch is bordered by oblong panels, carved with exquisite groups of dancers and musicians. Its maha-mandapa, like that of the Parsvanatha, is entered through an elaborate doorway and was originally enclosed by a solid wall, of which only a few supporting pilasters have survived. The door-lintel displays centrally an eight-armed figure of yakshi Chakresvari, seated on Garuda. The architrave surmounting the doorway is carved with sixteen auspicious symbols seen in the dream by Jina Mahavira's mother at the time of conception. The similarly in plan and design between this and the Parsvanatha indicates that the two temples cannot be far removed from each other in date. Of the two, the Ghantai appears to be larger and slightly more evolved and is consequently datable to the end of the tenth century.
More
Approach
areoplanBy Air : Khajuraho
busBy Bus : Khajuraho
trainBy Train : Khajuraho
Facilities
  • PNB, CNB, Other signages

Tickets
No Entry Fees

Notification
Preliminary Pre PDF Final Final PDF
F.3-66/52 A2, dt. 4/11/1952 vide SRO 1999 pub dt. 6/12/1952 pdf View F.3-66/52 A2 SRO 865, dt. 30/4/1953 pdf View
Location
Locality Tehsil District State
Khajuraho Rajnagar Chhatarpur M.P.